Cash for Work in the Philippines
I’m at a meeting of the Board of Lutheran World Relief. So I don’t have a lot of time to write, but I do have a plenty of time to be in awe; in fact, I find myself in awe almost all the time while I’m here.
- In awe of the faithfulness and effectiveness of this talented, dedicated, and diverse staff that has committed itself to Micah’s injunction to “do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God” (6:8);
- In awe of the reach of the organization as it makes a difference in the lives of people, literally, all over the world.
- In awe of the impact and responsiveness of LWR to emergency situations like Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines.
The video below – just released yesterday! – highlights one program initiated in the Philippines called “Cash to Work.” The program recruits and pays persons who not only lost their homes in the typhoon but also lost their livelihood to do some of the necessary reconstruction work in their communities like clearing drainage systems or removing debris from schools.
Which is one of the things I love about LWR – it responds to both the need to get work done and the need of families to receive income, in this way not only moving reconstruction along but also restoring the dignity of participants by giving them meaningful work to do. This program will run about 2 and a half years, but of course LWR’s been in the Philippines for years and will be for years to come. Unlike some relief agencies, LWR is in for the long haul and can draw on local relationships and partnerships to have an even greater impact.
And if you’ve ever wondered whether your gifts – or the gifts of your congregation – make a difference, LWR staff reported that not only did Lutheran individuals and congregations contribute more than $1 million to typhoon relief efforts, it was their first large among of funds that allowed them to get started immediately. So your gifts matter. You make a difference, as more than 100,000 people have already been directly impacted by LWR’s work in the Philippines. You, we, all of us, partnering with LWR, are changing lives and drawing people into the abundant life that God wishes for all of God’s people. Thank you — for your interest, for your past gifts, for sharing this video and information with your friends and congregation, and for considering making a gift to this important work now.
Notes: 1) If you are receiving this post by email, you may need to click the title at the top of the post in order to watch the video.
2) I’ll have more to share about LWR in the days and weeks to come. It’s an amazing group and deserves to be better known. Thanks for your help in sharing some of its story.
3) You can find more LWR videos at their YouTube channel. They are easy to watch, share, and to show to your youth group and in Sunday morning worship.