A quick word of apology and explanation to you all regarding the interruption in subscription service that led to a) no posts being sent since last Thursday and b) the onslaught of seven posts yesterday. While I doubt many of you noticed the lack of emails (I’ll confess that, with Easter and all, I didn’t!), but I’m sure it was not fun to receive an avalanche of posts yesterday.
I use a Google service called “Feedburner” to manage subscriptions. It usually works wonderfully well, sending out an email between 2:00-3:00 p.m. to all 6000+ subscribers anytime I post. But it stopped working late last week and I didn’t notice that until a few of you emailed wondering what was going on.
I’d love to say that I immediately and quickly resolved the issue, but truth be told such skills are not my forte, so after about 90 semi-frustrating minutes of bumbling around a variety of feed-validation sites (who knew websites, like people, need occasional validation 🙂 ), I managed to fix the problem. I still don’t understand quite what was wrong or how I resolved it, but it seems to be working.
Thanks for continuing to read and respond. And I hope you had a blessed Easter.